Sunday, August 22, 2010

Pic of the Day

     Bald Eagle, Haliaeetus leucocephalus: Homer, Alaska – Bald Eagles are one of my favorite birds to photograph (see March 20, 2010 post). This bird was one of many eagles I photographed over a ten day stay on Homer Spit. I shot more than 5000 images during my stay and most of them were keepers. The great concentration of eagles on the Spit occurred for one reason, and that reason was the late Jean Keene. Jean, an ex rodeo star, fed more than 500 pounds of fish a day to at least 300 eagles during the winter months for over 20 years. Feeding eagles at Homer became a controversial topic and the city of Homer band the feeding of eagles and other scavengers in 2006; but Jean was given special permission to continue feeding the birds until 2010. Jean passed away in 2009, and now all feeding of eagles has ceased. Jeans love for eagles provided many photographers a great opportunity to photograph these magnificent birds up close, and I am fortunate to have been one of the photographers to do so. All my trips to Alaska hold great memories, and the times I have spent on Homer Spit photographing eagles ranks among the best.

Nikon F5, Nikkor 500mm f/4, Ilford film @100 ISO

2 comments: