Thursday, June 17, 2010

On the Road



   It has been sometime since I have posted due to lack of Internet access. I am now in Sioux Falls, South Dakota rushing to put a few images on the blog. Hope you like the following images.

   Ruddy Ducks – Floating Pond, Yellowstone National Park: It is the second week of June in Yellowstone and birds are slow to start nesting this year in the higher elevations. As I drove past Floating Pond in the North East side of the park I saw Ruddy Ducks courting. Stopping in a nearby pull off I dawned my camo and slid down an embankment about 125 feet from the ducks. As the males courted the females, rival males entered the courting males territory. The courting male immediately confronted the rival. This is the first opportunity I have had to photograph Ruddy Ducks and it was exciting!!!
While courting the females the male Ruddy turns its tail feathers vertical and repeatedly taps the waters surface with his bill.
Nikon D300, 500mm f4 with 1.4 converter/ Digital Capture ISO 200

No comments:

Post a Comment