Monday, April 26, 2010

Pic of the Day


       Sora – Wakodahatchee Wetlands, Florida: The Sora is a member of the rail family and lives in marshes from Florida to Canada across North America. My first encounter with Soras was at Sarett Nature Center in Benton Harbor, Michigan. I was just starting my career in photography and became fascinated with this species when I first saw one weaving its way through the thick cattails. The opportunity did not present itself for a photograph back then, but 27 years later this encounter in the Wakodahatchee Wetlands, near Del-Ray Beach, Florida was the perfect opportunity. A secretive species, the sora is often heard but seldom seen, especially in open areas where it can be seen in full view. Fortunately for me, this Sora slowly emerged from the reeds into an opening at the edge of open water, giving me the opportunity to shoot a roll of film while it fed on duckweed.Nikon F5, 500mm f4, Provia 100

To read more about Wakodahatchee go to http://www.allaboutbirds.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=977 and read my Great Birding Escape in the Autum 2008 issue of Living Bird Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment