Friday, March 26, 2010

Pic of the Day

     Lesser Yellowlegs – Homer, Alaska: Lesser Yellowlegs are commonly seen on mudflats here in North Alabama during migration and have long been a target for my camera. They arrive in March for a few weeks then continue north, some wing all the way to Alaska to nest in wetlands that boarder lakes and ponds, as well as the open tundra. I found this bird and its mate at the north end of Beluga Lake in Homer, Alaska. Yellowlegs are extremely wary, and difficult to approach on foot when they are migrating. But, on their nesting grounds they are fierce, and guard their territory with an aggressive tenacity. As I walked into the wetlands of Beluga Lake I was immediately met with this yellowlegs. It flew directly to me and alighted on top of a small tree less than 20 feet away and began scolding me. I quickly position my self so that I would have spruce trees across the lake as my background and hurriedly shot a couple of rolls of film. After about 5 minutes of shooting I retreated........ surrendering to the threats of the Lesser Yellowlegs.

Nikon F5, Nikkor 500mm f4 with 1.4 teleconverter - Kodachrome 64

No comments:

Post a Comment